"I work for Reuters. I’m a journalist in the media business.
Back in 2008, I sat in a conference and reviewed some proposals to integrate news sources focused on electronic gaming into our RSS service as niche content providers.
We considered IGN, Gamespot, and a few other syndicated online info feeds.
Now, in order to white label a source as affiliated with Reuters, you need to run through a checklist of ~100 items that are necessary for journalistic integrity. The source and its organization has to score at least a 60 out of 100 for it to be considered fair and unbiased.
These tests are carried out by senior journalists, editors, and investigators.
NONE of the gaming publications scored higher than a 15. For reference, the National Enquirer scored a 38 and the MSNBC blogosphere scored 44.
Some failures included:
- Economic ties with publishers
- Acceptance of favors
- 0% of staff held journalism degree
- Very small percentage worked in other major publications
- No real editing process
- No accountability
tl;dr: Gaming “journalism” is a joke and the laughingstock of reporting media. Continue to read these publications if you want, but assume that everything you read is biased or an outright lie.”
Gaming news is officially worse than supermarket tabloids folks. Let that sink in for a while. These people are are several steps below “IS BRAD PITT CHEATING ON ANGELINA???” (via bonglorio)
Economic ties with publishers. E͜C̢͓̄ͪ̒O̓͐ͬ͒̄ͤN̜͚̙̅Ȍ͂̏̐ͩ̾ͯM͙̍ͯͬ̋͝I̸̻͕͎̳̗̺͈͌ͯ̽C̞̘͕̽̾̀ͅͅ ͖̩̠̱ͪ̿ͬͩ̐̏ͣT̠̭̼͉͖̗͗̔ͣͮ͢I͖ͨ͆ͣͩ̚E̮͈͛́S͈̹͔̯̾ͫͫ̿ͅ ̡̗̹͖̭͊͐W͓̫̭̟͎ͧI̫̲̦̖͍̬ͦT̬̭͍͔̘̺ͯͩͬ̋̉͘H̰̝̦̠ͧͥ̍͌̿̌ ̧̜̼͍͍̥ͤͣP͉̪̗̬̦̟͂̾͡U̠͒̓͑B͇̭̖̙̄̃̽̏̋̊ͮL͛̈Í̴̩̰̀̉S̷͚̰̝̦ͯ̐͆͋H̴͖̫̹Ḙ͂ͬͭ̈͊ͣR͕̫̿ͥ́̽̍̚͜S̛̝̟̓̎͑ͣ. Please remember that when reading reviews.
|—||Kendra Wells (via belle-de-nuit)|
A Swedish woman hitting a neo-Nazi protester with her handbag. The woman was reportedly a concentration camp survivor. 
Volunteers learn how to fight fires at Pearl Harbor [c. 1941 - 1945]
A 106-year old Armenian woman protecting her home with an AK-47. 
Komako Kimura, a prominent Japanese suffragist at a march in New York. [October 23, 1917]
Erika, a 15-year-old Hungarian fighter who fought for freedom against the Soviet Union. [October 1956]
Sarla Thakral, 21 years old, the first Indian woman to earn a pilot license. 
Voting activist Annie Lumpkins at the Little Rock city jail. 
Source with more wonderful photos
medievalpoc is NOT claiming:
- that in mediaeval Europe, there were lots of people of colour everywhere
- that perceptions of race have always been the same, everywhere
- that fantasy and historical fiction and games should focus exclusively on people of colour, no white characters allowed any more
- that all important inventions and achievements were the work of POC and white people have never done anything cool
- that everything on their blog is about the mediaeval period because the word ‘medieval’ is in the URL
- that everything on their blog is 100% accurate
- that Beethoven was totally black, you guys.
medievalpoc IS claiming:
- that throughout the history of Europe, people of colour have been present in various places at various times, some as visitors, some as residents, and contemporary works of art provide evidence of this. This is because international trade, travel and migration have always been part of human life. There was never a time when Europe was exclusively white-populated and had no contact with other parts of the world.
- perceptions of race have changed over time and are different in different cultures; they are observing from the perspective of an American applying Critical Race Theory to art history and historiography
- 'historical accuracy' is not a valid reason to have no POC characters in fantasy and historical fiction and games. For many times and places, it would be more accurate to include some. It is not fair or honest for white people to claim ownership of Europe’s history and mythology and exclude POC. Diversity makes these genres more interesting, and enjoyable for more people.
- POC have been responsible for many noteworthy inventions and achievements, but in the teaching of history and art history in the United States of America (the blogger can only comment on the education system with which they are familiar), they are frequently minimised or left out altogether. This is wrong and needs to be remedied, because it is unfair to students of colour and reinforces racism in white students.
- their blog started out focusing on mediaeval depictions of POC and then grew; also, terms like ‘mediaeval’ and divisions of history into distinct periods are artificial and applied by modern historians. They can create a false impression in students that history happened in neatly compartmentalised stages. That doesn’t mean they are useless terms but we need to be aware of it when we use them.
- that they are as capable of error as anyone else and accept corrections and clarifications. It’s just that ‘everyone knows’ is not valid supporting evidence for a correction. They provide links to sources for their claims and expect anyone disagreeing with them to do the same. Some of their sources are in conflict with each other. This reflects the fact that the writing of history is not objective and unified.
- some people who knew Beethoven when he was alive commented in surviving documents that he sure looked black to them. There is no possible way of knowing what race Beethoven would be considered (or would identify as) if he were alive today. This is interesting! Nobody should feel threatened by it.
Why say “ding dong you are wrong” when you could say “eggs and bacon you’re mistaken”
THERE IT IS AGAIN! THERE IT FUCKING IS! i’VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THIS PHOTO FOR YEARS AND NEVER COULD FIND IT!! THE LAN PARTY WITH THE GUY DUCT-TAPED TO THE CEILING!! BACK IN ANCIENT TIMES WHEN PEOPLE STILL USED CATHODE MONITORS AND WHEN COUNTERSTRIKE WAS THE NEW THING. THIS SHIT IS REAL. THIS IS REAL SHIT. SHIT THAT HAPPENED.
me 11:59 September 30th
me 12:00 October 1st
it’s not even october and 90% of tumblr is like the second gif
Disney movies in order of historical setting
(Excludes most of the package films. Some films, eg The Lion King, are impossible to pin down exactly and some, like Aladdin and Treasure Planet, are anachronistic, so these are estimations. A few have been split into 2 if there is more than one time period in the movie, and sequels have been put together.)
I love how Atlantis is on there twice!
how the bi-bros get fit quick